Having long periods of time in hospital can be really boring! We have some tips to make your hospital stay a little easier.
Tips for long hospital stays
- Ask friends to visit and bring snacks.
- Bring your tracky dacks, posters, photos and other favourite stuff from home to make the hospital room feel nicer.
- Offer the nurses lollies if you have them – they’ll love you for it.
- Get to know the night nurses well. They’ll save you from insanity when you can’t sleep!
- Beg, borrow or steal as much media as you can - a game-boy, laptop, books, magazines, DVDs. Surf the net or do some art… anything to kill some time!
- Start a journal.
- Make a visitor book or poster for visitors to sign and leave messages on.
- Take pictures of people who come to visit. This can be nice to look at once you’re out of hospital too.
- Stand up for yourself and ensure you get what you want.
- Unplug your phone if you’re not feeling well or don’t feel like visitors, or when you’re ready to sleep.
- Get outside if you are well enough. Some fresh air and sunshine can make a nice change.
- Get your friends to help you load up your ipod and make playlists for you.
- If you can’t muster the energy to read but would love a good story to distract you, try an audio book. Entertainment with your eyes closed – bonus!